SCHR Backup Policy
Policy Author: CMRC-IT
Policy created 2006-03-23
Policy updated 2010-08-18
• This policy applies only to the faculty and staff of CMRC that can access data on the SCHR servers and workstations.
• This policy is to remain in effect as long as SCHR data backups are recommended or mandated.
• This policy does not replace any more stringent application data retention or backup policies.
• Procedures supporting this policy will be developed and executed by CMRC-IT.
• Procedures supporting this policy will be posted on the internal CMH intranet Sharepoint website “CMRC-IT at Marcey” which will be accessible by CMRC-IT and SCHR faculty and staff.
o The word “backup” can be used to mean the following:
Duplication of data separate from the primary storage location
An archival/compression method used for storing data
Information which is stored electronically – not in paper format in files and folders
A machine that can create an environment where data can be stored, accessed, and displayed
o “File Server” or “server”
Refers to a specialized computer whose sole function is to hold data or present data for use either to an application or a user
A program or collection if instructions which can manipulate data
A person who uses a computer.
o “Onsite location”
The same physical place occupied by the user group and primary data storage devices
o “Offsite location”
A secondary data storage location away from the primary data storage device location and user group.
o “Data Duplication”
An exact copy of data with no compression methods used to save storage space in the copy. Sometimes referred to as a “plain copy”
o “Full Backup Set”
A copy of all data from one file location to another which may include a compression method to reduce the size of the backup data files
o “Incremental Backup Set”
A selective copying of data from one file location to another location which may include a compression method to reduce the size of the backup data files. Data selected for this back up is comprised of data modified since last full backup was completed
o “Backup Data Retention Period”
The amount of time a backup set is held before being recycled or deleted.
Data that is pulled from either a copy or backup set and placed back in its original storage location or new storage location
Data Duplication and Backup Set Storage Environment
• SCHR will utilize two file servers (CHRNAS1 and CHRNAS2) to store their data and backup data
• CHRNAS1 and CHRNAS2 will have sufficient capacity to allow for storage of data and to keep backup sets of that same data plus the backup sets of other data storage equipment.
• CHRNAS1 and CHRNAS2 will be of sufficient size to hold the backup sets for the retention period specified in this policy.
• The data portion of CHRNAS1 and CHRNAS2 will be electronically linked (DFS) to produce a duplicate copy of the data capable of being used by the end user community in the event one of the two servers fails.
• CHRNAS1 and CHRNAS2 will contain two independent backup sets one per each server.
• CHRNAS1 and CHRNAS2 will be at separate locations. CHRNAS1 will be housed at the Marcey location and CHRNAS2 will be housed at CMRC
• SCHR will utilize two additional file servers (CHRNAS3 and CHRNAS4) for the purpose of storing archive data.
• CHRNAS3 and CHRNAS4 will be at separate locations. CHRNAS3 will be housed at the Marcey location and CHRNAS4 will be housed at CMRC
• CHRNAS3 and CHRNAS4 will have data duplicated between.
Data Duplication and Backup Set Creation/Maintenance
• SCHR will utilize the use of Retrospect to generate the necessary backup sets and to maintain them according to this backup policy.
• SCHR will utilize the use of Microsoft SyncToy to generate the duplication of data as required in this policy.
Backup Set Data Retention Period
• Backup sets which will hold data from CHRNAS1 and CHRNAS2 will be retained for 45 days and will contain at least 1 full backup and 44 incremental backups
• Backup sets for all other SCHR servers except for the servers running MS SQL will be retained for 45 and will contain at least 1 full backup and 44 incremental backups
• Backup sets for SCHR servers running MS SQL will contain only 1 full backup of the contents of the MS SQL BACKUP folder.
• MS SQL instances will be configured to backup their data to the BACKUP folder and retain that data for at least 30 days.
• Workstations requiring a backup will only have one full backup done of the data area(s).
Data Duplication and Restorations of Data
• CMRC-IT will be responsible for performing data restorations of any backed up SCHR data.
• This policy does not apply to network drive accesses presented and maintained by CMH-IM which redirects data away from SCHR or CMRC-IT equipment.
• This policy does not apply to workstations in SCHR unless required or requested by SCHR management for specific workstations and only for specific data on them.
Data Not Covered
• Data not covered in this policy can be anything personal in nature such as pictures, music, documents, etc.
• Microsoft Outlook signatures
• Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders stored on the local hard drive of desktop computers or laptop computers not in the backed program
• Microsoft Office Templates that are customized
• Custom Microsoft Dictionaries
• Internet Explorer Favorites
• Data stored on the local desktop of desktop computers or laptops not in the backup program
• CMRC-IT will manage participation in this policy.
• CMRC-IT will notify SCHR either as a whole or affected members if there are any problems with the execution of this policy which would either affect the entire user community or specific users.